BATTLE CLUB
Please log in Battler!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BATTLE CLUB
Please log in Battler!
BATTLE CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whats the FOW update?

4 posters

Go down

Whats the FOW update? Empty Whats the FOW update?

Post  Panzer Bill Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:53 am

How are the armies coming along? I hope well. I have been building and painting as much as i can. I have most of my US Paras built, about 95%. I will be able to play with unpainted models soon. I am still busy trying to paint the best i can aswell.

Anyone else?

B
Panzer Bill
Panzer Bill
Admin

https://battle-club.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Whats the FOW update? Empty Re: Whats the FOW update?

Post  Sal Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:48 pm

I have the newer US para boxed set assembled, and mostly primed.
Haven't done anything with it in the last week or so though. Have to finish priming and get painting!
Thanks for those links to the reference pictures... trying to figure out which color scheme I like better.
I bought the D-1 book last night too (and the case... nice!).

I will be at a conference all week next week and not back until Feb 10th so probably no progress for me before then Sad

I hope to paint them really fast though, since I am not agonizing over historical accuracy (to make the uniforms match the equipment) I might as well not agonize over quality of the paint job.

Hopefully I'll be done by the end of next month with a small force - I was reading in the rule book about the 600 point "lunch time" games, reminds me of the warbands rules for WHFB. I think I would like to play some of these before I try another big battle. I would much rather play a 600pt game with painted armies than a 1500 pt game with unpainted ones! I think I can fit in a combined arms (no tanks, but combat platoons, MG, mortar, etc) force even with only 600 pts if I just use smaller platoons.

Anyway... good luck to all of you with your conscripts!

Nino, you get a game in yet?

Sal
Young Blood

Back to top Go down

Post  Vazanar Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:53 pm

I'm dreading assembling my 25 pdrs. But the 8 of them should help a bit. I think with them I'll have the full 2000 pts. Painted, well that will come slowly, rather get more exciting games in than worry about fully painted. Less it was a team game to bolster the points. Smile Then again since Sal and I are both ally armies that happen anyway.

Of course when I get my finnish...... They like only infantry

Last edited by Vazanar on Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vazanar
Vazanar
Worrior

Back to top Go down

Post  Sal Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:17 pm

Hey whaddaya trying to say huh, my 600 pt games can't be exciting?

Haha... I don't know why but I have always generally liked smaller games vs. bigger. Harder to think about what you want in your list, harder to account for every eventuality (i.e. can't take mortars "and" AT "and" MGs, so you have to pick). Also each casualty hurts that much more so it's very tense...

I think it's why I like Mordheim so much!

I do think most people are in the "bigger is better" camp though... hopefully one of you guys is up for some smaller games at some point.

I certainly will NOT be playing any 2000 pts games until I get some more games under my belt. 1500 was stressful enough!

Sal
Young Blood

Back to top Go down

Post  Vazanar Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:23 pm

Oh I agree sometimes smaller is better. I have 5 games down now and 2000 will seem large. 600 is just really small. I can't even play my normal army. Though I can see the temptation for airborne since they are designed more for it. 1000 be a nice compromise.
Vazanar
Vazanar
Worrior

Back to top Go down

Post  Vazanar Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:36 pm

Also 600 pts of this is closer to a 600 pts of Fantasy not a game of Mordheim. Mordheim has a lot of things to make your individual models different adding to the excitement. Each model has to be killed on its own. Plus if they die you can lose more than just a unit like all the others. I wonder if there are any squad base games for WWII that work well.

Having said that, you may want to avoid reserve missions at 600pts. With 3 platoons you could get really screwed. But you mentioned a part of it in the rule book (I have the small book) maybe they have some special missions and rules to take it into account.
Vazanar
Vazanar
Worrior

Back to top Go down

Post  Sal Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:55 pm

Agreed... would not want to play a game with only 600 pts where half your force starts in reserve.

I do think it is more similar to a 600pt game of WHFB than MH... but that's OK, I like 600pt games of WHFB!

There is a set of add-on rules for FoW called "Partizans and Polizei" which came with the Operation Bagration boxed set, which is kind of like what you are thinking - slightly different rules and scenarios to represent smaller engagements. However I am just talking about regular games at 600 pts, no additional rules. I guess we would just have to avoid scenarios with reserves. This type of game would probably work better and be more fun with infantry companies I'd imagine.

I know there are a TON of rule sets which represent squad level combat. One of the reasons it took me so long to get into FoW is that I already have so much stuff for WW2 in 1/72 scale, which I had been intending to use with one of these rule sets. It was hard to get into the same period in a different scale / at a different level of engagement, but you guys were all so excited that I couldn't resist getting involved!

I am going to *try* not to get carried away with FoW though, and just stick to my US Airborne (and German Festungskompanie when the US are done), instead of going out and buying every campaign book and army there is!

Sal
Young Blood

Back to top Go down

Post  Vazanar Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:18 pm

Well I went a little nutty with this. Well more buying the terrain on top of my army. But I think I will stick with my current level plus maybe an axis army. Just cause it be weird to have the allies fight. Then again I'll probably play the Fins, which didn't really fight anyone but the Russians so still doesn't make sense. But it work for all three eras.

Also at 600pts you must play infantry companies cause the Tanks are too expensive. To give you an idea the army I play would be 755 pts with only the bare min requirements, 2 platoons with command. Just be weird not playing with most of the game. It be 2 infantry, command and a support weapon for most armies? It just seems whoever gets hit first would lose. When/If I get the Finns I'd be interested. With the Irish Guard, well it just makes no sense. But like I said it's more the German players you need to convince not me. Smile

I also think you might like Malifaux. 4-5 models per side and very mission based.
Vazanar
Vazanar
Worrior

Back to top Go down

Post  Panzer Bill Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:42 pm

600 pts? thats enough for a half ass companie for me or 2 hq panthers! lol. 1500-2000 pts isnt that big or hard in fow, thats why i like it. thats my opinion and im sticking to it.

8 25lbs??? jeez, what you bombing with all those guns? thats a nice large target!
Panzer Bill
Panzer Bill
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Vazanar Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:43 pm

Well naturally I'm bombing zee Germans.

They form 2 squads to spread out, but it takes a lot of space
Vazanar
Vazanar
Worrior

Back to top Go down

Post  Panzer Bill Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:08 pm

I bet! But they count as 1 platoon for firing purposes, right? Double wide template or rerolls or both? Darn britts and their arty.
Panzer Bill
Panzer Bill
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Vazanar Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:26 am

They can choose to fire separate or together. I see them coming in big games more.
Vazanar
Vazanar
Worrior

Back to top Go down

Post  KingJames88 Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:16 pm

600 point games are great introductory games for new people to learn the rules, but with the way many of the scenarios work with the objectives, reserves and other rules it becomes very difficult when you only have 3 platoons. 1000-1200 points in my opinion feels more like the warhammer warbands games because you have just enough to field a little support but not much. Being that 1750 is the standard size for a tournament army, any games from 1500-2000 are all good, with the exception of a 1000-1200 game thrown in every so often for fun. At this level the platoons need to take on extra roles and become much more valuable than in a 2000 point game, and the support options you choose are also very important being that your only going to have a couple.

James
KingJames88
KingJames88
Sgt. at Arms

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down